LAW BALL: Michelle's Speech
Friends of the Law Society,
For those of who wanted the text of my speech, I have included it below. :) For those of you who were present, your participation and support was exhilarating!
Esteemed administrators, lecturers and staff, generous sponsors, gorgeous law students and friends.
I would like to share three things I have learned this year from some of my most dynamic lecturers this year.
Slow Slow Catch the Monkey
Ms Jaspal Kaur is renowned throughout the department for her captivating vignettes.
Imagine Ms. Jaspal and her sister, huddled in front of an arcade game. A monkey is scurrying up and down up and down a palm tree. The object of the game is to catch that monkey.
Elusive happiness – now it’s here now it’s not – catching fleeing glimpses of the prize, the goal…
Concentrate, focus…concentrate….”slow slow catch the monkey” - - BAM, they had it!
This imagery reminds us to set goals and to never lose sight of them, no matter how fast your dream - your monkey is climbing.
The only caveat is - Don’t act rashly, plan your strategy then go for it!
In Three Hours, You Can Move Mountains
Mr. Mark Goh is more familiar to his students as Mr. Quarter Mark.
His words remind us that our time is short - - but we can do great things. Just think, we executed our Halloween Bash in one day, Futsal for Flood Relief raised more than 4K in a month, our society has blossomed into the blazing supernova it is in only six months – and in two years or less many of us will have a law degree!
Push yourself to your most human limits. You will never know just how many obstacles, how many adversaries, in short – how many mountains you can move.
Never underestimate yourself. Surprise and amaze yourself.
Work efficiently and effectively.
Fuel yourself with enthusiasm and passion to sustain you through the darkest hours.
No Man Is An Island
The first day I walked into Mr. Kitson Foong’s Criminal Law lecture, I wasn’t sure if I had accidentally stepped into a Literature course!
Quoting John Donne, “no man is an island” Mr. Kitson reminded us that what we do can affect others negatively and bring about criminal liability.
Likewise, we can be epicenters of positivity.
We can fill a classroom
Fill a department
Fill a school
Fill a community and
Fill a world with energy and enthusiasm
Awareness and dedication
Not just for law, but for justice.
It just takes you and me, a little courage and a lot of heart.
Be an epicenter of positivity and justice.
Mr. Kitson (I mean, Donne)’s second point is that we are all connected so closely
It hurts when we must say goodbye
Ms. Jaspal, our beautiful second years and even some of our first years will be
Soaring to new heights (quite literally).
I would like to dedicate my speech tonight to each you
And to the beautiful vibrant community we have built together.
Friends of the Law Society, please take these three phrases with you.
Slow slow catch the monkey
In Three Hours You Can Move Mountains
And No Man Is An Island
Peace be with you all!
For those of who wanted the text of my speech, I have included it below. :) For those of you who were present, your participation and support was exhilarating!
Esteemed administrators, lecturers and staff, generous sponsors, gorgeous law students and friends.
I would like to share three things I have learned this year from some of my most dynamic lecturers this year.
Slow Slow Catch the Monkey
Ms Jaspal Kaur is renowned throughout the department for her captivating vignettes.
Imagine Ms. Jaspal and her sister, huddled in front of an arcade game. A monkey is scurrying up and down up and down a palm tree. The object of the game is to catch that monkey.
Elusive happiness – now it’s here now it’s not – catching fleeing glimpses of the prize, the goal…
Concentrate, focus…concentrate….”slow slow catch the monkey” - - BAM, they had it!
This imagery reminds us to set goals and to never lose sight of them, no matter how fast your dream - your monkey is climbing.
The only caveat is - Don’t act rashly, plan your strategy then go for it!
In Three Hours, You Can Move Mountains
Mr. Mark Goh is more familiar to his students as Mr. Quarter Mark.
His words remind us that our time is short - - but we can do great things. Just think, we executed our Halloween Bash in one day, Futsal for Flood Relief raised more than 4K in a month, our society has blossomed into the blazing supernova it is in only six months – and in two years or less many of us will have a law degree!
Push yourself to your most human limits. You will never know just how many obstacles, how many adversaries, in short – how many mountains you can move.
Never underestimate yourself. Surprise and amaze yourself.
Work efficiently and effectively.
Fuel yourself with enthusiasm and passion to sustain you through the darkest hours.
No Man Is An Island
The first day I walked into Mr. Kitson Foong’s Criminal Law lecture, I wasn’t sure if I had accidentally stepped into a Literature course!
Quoting John Donne, “no man is an island” Mr. Kitson reminded us that what we do can affect others negatively and bring about criminal liability.
Likewise, we can be epicenters of positivity.
We can fill a classroom
Fill a department
Fill a school
Fill a community and
Fill a world with energy and enthusiasm
Awareness and dedication
Not just for law, but for justice.
It just takes you and me, a little courage and a lot of heart.
Be an epicenter of positivity and justice.
Mr. Kitson (I mean, Donne)’s second point is that we are all connected so closely
It hurts when we must say goodbye
Ms. Jaspal, our beautiful second years and even some of our first years will be
Soaring to new heights (quite literally).
I would like to dedicate my speech tonight to each you
And to the beautiful vibrant community we have built together.
Friends of the Law Society, please take these three phrases with you.
Slow slow catch the monkey
In Three Hours You Can Move Mountains
And No Man Is An Island
Peace be with you all!

2 Comments:
I had a fantastic time, and I really think that the committee deserve a HUGE round of applause and... a great big thank you hug..in true michelle-fashion ;)
Great job guys! :)
I'd have to agree with mr. divan. the law ball was a blast! hats off to the law ball committee as well as all those who helped make it a success! bravo guys. truly glad n proud to be part of such a dynamic n enthusiastic team =D
Post a Comment
<< Home