Consolidated Bill? This is a Consolidated Post!
Mr. Goh taught us about consolidated bills a few weeks ago. I thought I would try my hand out at a consolidated post! A lot of little updates have been thrown around, so I would like to provide a little reflection on what's going on in the big picture.
Executive Board Projects:
- I Heart Law Shirts
- A-levels Mentorship Program
It makes my heart smile to see you all measuring one another with those silly green rulers, scribbling your names onto the order sheet and debating whether white, black or both are better - like it's a moting topic or something. Even the lecturers are getting playful over choosing sizes for one another. Mr. Ganesan and Mr. Amir are at the forefront of a I Heart Law boxer shorts campaign!
Consolidated Details: The RM10 pre-sale ended Friday at noon, so the price is now the regular RM15 if you have not paid yet. That's not so bad, guys ;) Please also remember that you may add RM1 if you want a black shirt sewn smaller than XS. The last day to pay for that is Monday. Worried about size? We have placed a deposit for 5 blank shirts to be sent to us, 1 3XS, 1 XS, 1 M, 1 XL and one 3XL. If you wait, your order will be placed with the A-Levels which will arrive later than ours.
The objective of our Society is to expose our members to the larger issues in law. I have interpreted this as knowing our special role in our community as pre-legal professionals, whether it be within our department, within HELP, locally and even globally. The A-levels mentorship program is designed to achieve just that.
Not everyone in the world can go to school. Even fewer can go to college and even fewer than that can study law! It's so easy to dread the next assignment or get up in the morning for 8 or 9 am class... I don't want to go all "emo" on you guys, but I delight in the fact that people do look up to us in the Law Department, as scholars and as friends. It's kind of like with our own lecturers. They're more than that, they're teachers! So look at yourself as a student. You're more than a student - you can mentor, too! Who doesn't like warm fuzzy feelings?
Charity SubCom Projects:
- Treasure Scavenger Hunt
- Orphanage Care
They have a beautiful new blog! Here. The Charity Subcom is dear to my heart and they have been quietly working on some big plans. They have adopted a single home because they know that it is quality and not quantity which is important. Sustained commitment to these kids shows them that in all the inconsistencies in their life, a few faces will be there, over and over. I can't wait for the visits to start! I used to work with kids aged 10-15 every weekend, and it became more than them looking forward to seeing us, it was me looking forward to seeing them. The charity subcom recognizes our special place in the community, and is acting on it. Thank you, for fulfilling objective #2.
Social Subcom Projects:
- Christmas Events
Academic Subcom Projects:
- Moot Workshops and Competition
- Bar Council Young Lawyers Exchange
- Expert Guest Speakers
When I think of objective 2, I immediately think of the Academic Subcom because being law students, our eyes are opened to law through our lecturers and through our books. The Academic subcom brings our studies to life by inviting experts from the field right into our lives! The Malaysian Bar Council is interested in an exchange program with us. Skrine is going to train us in mooting, and Ms. Jaspal has lined up a top criminal lawyer to speak with us. Take these opportunities and take them far!
-
Editorial Board Projects:
- Online Discussion Board
Editorial Board, by definition, is a project in itself. They are going to document all the Objective 1 and Objective 2-achieving events that we host - - with flair!
-
My Personal Projects:
- Inter-departmental Awareness and Support
- Inter-intake Bonding
At the beginning of the year I took a look at the master schedule. I was horrified to find that out of all the hours Monday to Thursday, the ONLY hour all the intakes share a break is Thursday 11-12. It is excruciatingly difficult for us to see each other, let alone hang out! That is why I love the Social Subcom's meetings because they're held during that magical hour, and it's the most mixing I see in the week - save all our precious moments pouring over LexisNexis in the computer lab... I have come to the tentative conclusion that no one can "force" the intakes to know each other. It takes some initiative on each of our parts to get involved in the Society, and to just say hi to one another ;)
I really love interdepartmental events. First, because they're usually social in nature, and secondly because I am amazed more and more by the people around me - by their diversity, their skills, and their passions. Today, I watched rugby all day and the guys really did impress me. Across departments, across intakes, they've learned to work as a team. Each successive game they played, the stronger they got! I feel like the HELP Rugby Team is a metaphor for us more than as departments but as individuals - the more we work/play together, the stronger we are as a group!
-
And with that, I end my colossal post...
-
Love the Law, Love each other,
Michelle

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home